Wolak Represents Golf Team at States

Walker Vogan

Freshman Jacob Wolak hits the ball on the home golf course. Jacob is the second freshman out of three boys in total to advance to the PIAA golf championship.

Slippery Rock’s Walker Allison, Jacob Wolak, and Logan Wolak participated in the district ten individual tournament, with Logan Wolak going on to compete in the western regional golf tournament and state tournament.

At the longest running high school golf tournament in the USA, Slippery Rock led with the best score out of 8 teams. With a team score of 324, Walker Allison had the lowest score of 73.

According to Mr. Whitmer, the team was significantly better than last year’s team. With results like these, there is no wonder why these players qualified for districts.

On Friday, October 4, Jakob Wolak competed with the best score of 77 out of 39 AA golfers at the District 10 individuals Tournament at the Meadville Country Club. With this placement, Wolak advanced to the western regional tournament. Wolak needed to place 22 or higher to advance into the PIAA championship on October 21-22 at Heritage Hills Golf Club in York.

At the Western Regional Tournament at Tom’s Run Golf Course, Wolak scored a 77, earning 11th place in the tournament. With this score, he became the third Slippery Rock boy to attend to the PIAA golf championship in school history.

Mr. Whitmer was very excited about the team’s accomplishments this year. Out of  previous years, this team has improved and moved on farther than ever in a while. There was no struggle maintaining the winning record and doing better as a team.

“It was a good season and a rough battle,” freshman Jacob Wolak stated.

Wolak explains that this year was a better year for the team and himself  individually.

“I’m excited I finally got to play for the school after a while of waiting,” stated Wolak.

Wolak placed 10th out of  36 golfers at the state meet, and shot 79 and a 81 for a total of 160 to earn a medal. Wolak  earned a medal in the boys AA competition, and is the first to do so on the first trip to states.