Girls Basketball Season Off to a Great Start

Alexis Screcengost

Freshman Ashley Shea shoots a foul shot.

Alexis Schrecengost, Staff Writer

The Slippery Rock Girls Basketball team, coached by Amber and Doug Osborne, played against Conneaut on Monday January 22, 2018. The girls beat Conneaut by a score of 75-20.  The Junior Varsity team is captained by Madigan Roxberry. The varsity team is led by Macy McCall, Jenna Heitzenrater, and Emma McDermott.

Junior Madigan Roxberry dribbles down the court to warm up before the game.

Varsity currently holds a 5-1 record. The team is happy with how the season is going so far, especially because they currently have a winning record. Senior Macy McCall states that “The hardest part about preparing for a game for me is being mentally ready. Also, you have to be mentally strong if the game is not going how you would like it to.”

Freshman Gina Coffaro explains that the team members as a whole are super close with each other, but they need to work on communication during the games a little better. She also states that she will playing on the team next year because she loves being part of such a strong team. “Confidence is probably the hardest thing about preparing for games, because tons of people come to watch,” she says.

Junior Emma McDermott explains that her favorite memory playing this year would be beating Girard in overtime and having a party with the teammates on the bus afterwards. She also loves being with the team and that they have so much fun together.

Freshman Hallie Raabe explains that the team is different from other sports teams she has been on, because all the teammates hang out together and enjoy playing basketball