A Look Behind the Curtain: Stage Crew Club

Senior Megan Miller, junior Dakota Crall, and senior Sarah Schmidt managed the light board to make sure the holiday concert ran smoothly on December 19th.

Sami Edwards, Staff Writer

Senior Maya French caresses Deborah, the mannequin head and stage crew mascot, given to stage crew by Maya’s sister from her cosmetic class.

Many events held in the Slippery Rock High School auditorium are all coordinated by students themselves who are in the Stage Crew Club. Each member of the club has a different position to help the productions and events run smoothly. These positions are organized into four categories: the stage, lights, sounds, and the pit.

As stated by junior Haley Stoughton, “The stage crew assists with musicals, talent shows, and any event held in the auditorium.”

Senior Maya French adds, “Their job is to prepare and maintain the auditorium for every event involved in it.”

There are four positions held in stage crew: these positions consist of lights, pit, sound, and stage. The position of lights are the people who manage the lights and the set up for light shows. Those in pit deal with moving and playing the piano for talent shows. Those in the sound position make sure the microphones and other sound effects are working, and the stage has anything to do with the set up of props, changes of scenery, and moving the curtains.

Junior Dakota Crall’s position is the head of maintenance of sound. As he explains, this position “requires sound waves going BOOM.” He states that their job is to control mics, monitors, house speakers, and anything to do with sound.

The members of this organization have received their training from many different people and places, such as at a church, or by learning from other SRHS stage crew members. Ben Hemphill, a freshman,  is in his first year on the crew and received his training from his church. He is a volunteer stage crew member, meaning his position is to volunteer when he can.

Juniors Dakota Crall and Cabot Fowler managed the soundboard during the Christmas assembly on December 21st held at the end of the school day.

Junior Haley Stoughton has been on stage crew for two years and received her training from the other stage crew members. As stage crew continues through the year, she says that members pick up more skills and knowledge about how the equipment works in the auditorium and on stage. She deals mostly with the stage, and is responsible for set placement, curtains, and light bars.

Maya French has been on the crew for four years and received her training the same as Haley: student-to-student. She is the president of the stage crew club this year and her position requires organizing the stage crew team. As a stage manager, she also moves props for performances, along with the things Haley stated above.

So, if dealing with the lights, stage, or sounds interest you and you want to help with productions during the 2018-2019 school year, then the stage crew is the perfect club for you. See stage crew adviser Mr. Fine or stage crew president Maya French for more information.