Boys Basketball Team Heads to the Playoffs

Gracie Bell

Junior Oliver Valera dribbles down court in the game against the Grove City Eagles.

Gracie Bell, Managing Editor

The Slippery Rock High School boys basketball teams have not had the best luck with their 2017-2018 season, but are continuing to improve throughout the season. The boys have been training since mid-November. The varsity team is coached by Randy Armagost, and the junior varsity is coached by Wes Brahler. There is also a ninth grade team coached by Mr. Whitmer.

The ninth grade team is captained by freshman Gavin Riefer, and the team has won a total of three games. The team consists of eight players and is very strong-willed according to Riefer. He says that the team has been working very hard all season, but one game that sticks out more than others is their Hickory game. When they were playing at Hickory, they had an intense game, but ended up losing by one with a score of 49-48. Riefer says, “As the season progressed we played better as a team.”

Gracie Bell
Senior Rod Williams shoots a free throw against the Grove City Eagles.

The varsity team is captained by seniors Rod Williams and Nick Wherthey, and junior Logan Croll. The season came to an end with a 3-17 record and now they are headed off to playoffs. The boys are able to go to the playoffs because they have won a game and are not in last place in their division. Assistant Coach Ricky Bell says, “The team continues to amaze me with their positive attitudes and willingness to play.”

One of the most intense games of this years season was the varsity game against Keystone in the home gym. The game was quite intense according to Coach Bell because the team was losing until the last second when senior Nick Wherthey shot a three pointer and tied the game, which went into overtime. This then led to a victory and a celebration.

Another game that was quite impressive according to stat boy Cole Bell is the game at Franklin High School. The boys basketball team managed to gather 71 points, but unfortunately did not win the game.

With the team only getting better, the boys varsity team will be having a playoff game on February 16th against Hickory in the Hickory gym.