The First Annual Battle on The Hill Fundraiser

Mr. Belowich celebrates a teacher team victory at the first annual Battle on the Hill girls softball fundraiser.

Jordan Longdon, Staff Writer

The first annual battle on the hill fundraiser held on September 16, 2017  to benefit the Slippery Rock Girls Softball Team. The teacher team defeated the student team with a score of 11-2. This fundraiser was held to help the Softball Team raise enough money to travel south to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in the spring.

During the event, a team of teachers played against the a team of softball players in a slow pitch game. The teacher team was coached by Mr. Belowich, and the softball team was coached by Morgan Murdock and Julia Hart. During the 4th inning, Mr. Sarver and Mr. Kovac both hit out-of-the-park home runs. Mr. Kovac also hit three home runs in a row, which put the teacher team in the lead. Sophomore Julia Hart explained that the softball players were having a bit of difficulty during the game.

After the game had ended, sophomore Julia Hart said,  “It was a very eventful game and it was very exciting.”  She also said that Darrah Lynch was considered the MVP softball player of the day, going two for three.

Some of the other activities that were going on during the fundraiser were trying to hit Cheyenne Hindman’s fastball, and trying to hit as many home runs as possible off of a pitching machine. A Chinese auction and a 50/50 raffle were also held as well.

The winning team of the Home Run Derby called themselves “The Bomb Squad.” The team consisted of Derek Van Dyke, Ricky Mineo, and Jeff Bennett.