2017 Golf Team Swings Into Action

Michael Kiefer

Chad Green warms up at the drive range in Oakview.

Michael Kiefer, Staff Writer

Olivia Elliott
Shane Stevenson hits the ball with perfect form at a golf meet against Grove City.

The Slippery Rock High School Golf Team finished 4th in the region with the overall scoring had 40 wins to 101 losses for their season this year. The golf team is coached by Mr. Whitmer, who has coached for 32 years. The varsity team consists of players Chad Green, Ryan Dorrier, Walker Allison, Elijah McClymonds, and Garrett Dailey. They gained nine new freshmen this year, including Nick Ayers, Christian Brunsgaard, Tucker Brunton, Logan Jordan, Tyler King, and Marshal Pierce.

The three best scorers this year, according to Mr. Whitmer, were junior Chad Green with an average score of 94, freshmen Logan Wolak with an average score of 95, and Walker Allison with an average of 96.

At a golf match, the team arrives early to the golf course to warm up for the day. They practice longer drives on a driving range and then practice putting and hits that are close to the hole. Then, the coach from the home team states all the rules and regulations for the match.  Once they finish, they split into different groups to attempt each hole within the course.

Junior Chad Green explained that within his time in golf, he has had a lot of cool experiences.  His favorite was when “I hit the ball and it circled around the sand pit and hit the flag that was in the hole.”

Junior Ryan Dorrier’s advice for kids who want to join the golf team is to “Stay in yo lane.”