The Latest Video Games in October 2017

Mario returns to save Princess Peach from Bowser in a new open-world platforming game for the Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo

Michael Kiefer, Staff Writer

This October has been a great month in the video game world, with many new and sequel titles emerging. Three notable games from October include The Evil Within 2Life is Strange: Before the Storm, and Super Mario Odyssey.

The Evil Within 2

Bethesda Softworks

Release Date: October 13, 2017

Rating: M

Systems: PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Overview: This is a survival, action, and horror RPG that takes place three years after the events of the first game in the city of Union. Sebastian Castellanos tries to find his daughter, Lily, who was assumed dead after a house fire while trying to deal with a mysterious man with a camera.

Writer’s Opinion: I believe that it is really fun and creative in that it has open world aspects but also has side missions alongside the main mission.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Square Enix Holdings

Release Date: Episode 1: August 31, 2017; Episode 2: October 19, 2017; Episode 3: TBA

Rating: M

System: PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Overview: This is a third person, multi-ending story. The game takes place three years before the original game. This time around, players become Chloe Price, who is friends with Rachel Amber. Together they must help each other to get over their problems.

Student Opinion: Junior Emily Tasker said, “It is really nice to see Chloe again and learn more about Rachel. The awkward dialogue is still as endearing as ever and the studio did an amazing job again with the story.”

Super Mario Odyssey

Nintendo

Release Date: October 27, 2017

Rating: RP

System: Nintendo Switch

Overview: This is a 3D platform game in which you take control of Mario, who is trying to save Princess Peach from Bowser once again. This specific game is a return to the 3D open-world style of gaming included in Super Mario 64, which was originally released on the Nintendo 64 system back in 1996.

Teacher Opinion: Mrs. Furka said, “It reminds me of the N64 Super Mario game. I especially like the new mechanics with Cappy, Mario’s new hat. Cappy helps you turn into a frog, a Goomba, and other creatures in Mario’s world.”