Marching Band Participates in Slippery Rock Halloween Parade

From left to right, sophomore Katelynn McWhorter, junior Ashton Rider, and 8th grader Sami Hayes warm up before the parade starts.

Sami Edwards, Staff Writer

On the afternoon of October 31st from 6 pm to 7 pm, Slippery Rock held its annual Halloween parade to kick off the community’s trick-or-treat event, led by the Slippery Rock High School Marching Band.  The band played “This is Halloween” from the 1993 Tim Burton film The Nightmare before Christmas throughout the parade, which started near McDonald’s on Main Street and ended at the Slippery Rock Fire Hall.

Once they reached the Fire Hall they stood in front as they preformed their halftime show consisting of music from the Styx, including “Mr Roboto,” “AD 1928,” “Best of Times,” and “Too Much Time on my Hands” while the Rock’n-ettes danced. They also played “Victorious,” the song the band played for their senior night performance on October 20th.

Since band director Mr. Fine has been at Slippery Rock, the marching band has always been a part of the parade because they have always asked for them to perform. The parade organizers have told Mr. Fine that “The parade would not be the same without them.”

The band members share common thoughts about this year’s parade, such as the parade was really cold, stated by both senior Sarah Baker and sophomore Cara Dalcamo. The costumes are a sight to see, especially with an entire band dressed in them. The inflatable T-Rex suits worn by Kylie Slattery and Emily Fritz were a crowd favorite, according to Slattery. Senior Sarah Baker’s favorite costumed pair were Maya French and Maya Borland dressed as Care Bears.