Butler County Symphony Orchestra Visits SRHS

Emily Tasker

The Butler County Symphony Orchestra’s conductor, Matthew Kraemer, discussed the history of classical American music in between songs.

Emily Tasker, Managing Editor

The Butler County Symphony Orchestra visited SRHS Friday, November 3rd, to showcase American classical music to Slippery Rock students at the end of the school day. Students from the Slippery Rock Area and Moraine elementary schools also came in earlier in the day to enjoy the music and learn about American classical music.

The symphony featured ragtime and jazz while the conductor, Matthew Kraemer, taught the students of the music’s background and its historical importance in America. The symphony played music that was derived from and inspired by old Protestant hymns and spirituals from Southern slaves.

Juniors Connor Bluedorn, Jessie Fischer, Eliot McIlwain, Shayna Lindey, and senior Lauryn Pavlik sang “America the Beautiful” as the Butler Symphony played.

At the end of the showcase, juniors Connor Bluedorn, Jessie Fischer, Eliot McIlwain, Shayna Lindey, and senior Lauryn Pavlik sang along as the symphony played “America the Beautiful.” 

Junior Megan Smith spoke highly of the visit, saying, “It was very sophisticated and I really liked how the conductor stopped to talk about the music they played.”